1/12/16

Goodbye 2015, Hello 2016

As much joy as 2015 brought us, it also brought a lot of pain. The joy of welcoming our beautiful little girl Emma was a highlight of our year, she has brought so much happiness into our lives. But sadly this moment brought a lot of fear and pain as well. Learning that our perfect little girl was going to have struggles her whole life, not to mention a shortned one, was the most heart stopping, painful thing we have ever gone through. Being a teacher and helping parents understand that their child might be a little delayed has been a part of my life for the last 10 years but nothing prepared me for the moment when someone would say those words to me...."Your child will be severely developmentally delayed". My heart dropped, things went blurry and I can't remember much after that except that I loved this little girl and I was going to do everything in my power to help her live the life that she deserves. The response from friends and family was greater than we could have ever imagined and we can't thank you all enough for that! Lissencephaly (smooth brain) was a word that I had never heard of until March 25, 2015, 5 days after Emma was born, 1 day after she started having seizures. This word will be a part of our lives but it will not define our lives. We are starting to find our "New Normal" and that is mostly because of Ava, Emma's big sister. She plays with Emma and lights up her/our life. I don't know how things would be without her. Emma will only laugh at Ava, and by laugh I mean really laugh, we occasionally will get a giggle but Ava gets the full on laugh and I wouldn't change it for the world. The bond that these two have made over the last 9 months is incredible. This is where the joy part comes in....seeing them together makes me realize things are exactly the way they are suppose to be and we are going to grow together as a family and 2016 is going to be amazing!

Here are some of our highlights of 2015 with may firsts for our family and Emma :)

EMBRACE LIFE

Don't forget to follow Emma on Facebook too for more info more often (lol it's easier to manage)

No comments:

Post a Comment